The „Goldener Adler“, situated in the heart of Rapperswil town center, consists of three layers, which were erected between the 13th and 17th century.
During the third extension in 1613 the house has been covered with a homogenous roof truss. The building stages can only be seen from the exterior by fine alterations of heights and bends in the façade. After rubbishy interior “upgrades” during the 20th century the substance was in various conditions. The middle part of the building was in very bad condition due to massive lowerings of the wooden slabs and intense damages of the girders. Due to this fact finally the whole part of the building had to be replaced. This new intervention was realized in golden yellow fair faced concrete. Adjacent to the new core the new bathrooms, wardrobes etc. were placed. This modern middle part contrasts to the carefully renovated rooms in the northern and southern part of the building, partly conserving the original slab constructions.
In the first floor with rooms orientated to the streets, the former “Trinkstube zum Goldenen Adler” was situated. The painted ceilings with multiple layers of paint were able to be conserved and carefully renovated. In the process of this renovation delicate wooden marqueteries were uncovered. Similar valuable parts were conserved due to professional abilities of the workers.
The raw stone walls were covered with slaked lime. New interior carpenter work like kitchens and cabinets were realized in reduced esthetics and without ingratiation to the existing surroundings.