The objective of the intervention is located within the Inacasa Harar-Dessie district, built between 1951 and 1955 on an urban design by the architects Luigi Figini, Gino Pollini and Gio Ponti.
Inside one of the insulae that dialogue with the "horizontal skyscrapers" of the neighborhood, this house is distributed on two floors above ground and a basement.
The want to maintain the spirit of the house has led to the elimination of accrued additions over the years, maintaining the distribution and proportions of the original project.
The rotation of the last section of the staircase and the construction of a new spatial system consisting of a metal structure have made it possible to physically and visually connect the ground floor and the first floor. The dividing elements, the lighting system and the custom staircase are inserted into this structure.
The floors are in natural material: breccia stone on the ground floor, wood on the staircase and grit on the first floor.
The ribbed white volume, proposed for the living room, supports a canaletto walnut volume and a metal bookcase, accompanying the gaze from the entrance to the window overlooking the rear garden, under which the custom sofa finds space.
The sleeping area is characterized by custom-designed doors with a fanlight that guarantees natural lighting in the small hallway.
Made-to-measure furnishings and new materials seek a dialogue with the original spirit of the house, creating spatial harmony that restores a very domestic perception of the rooms.