EDIFICIO HOSPITALARIO POLIVALENTE EN EL PARQUE SANITARIO PERE VIRGILI
This health infrastructure is the result of a research process carried out together with the Catalan Health System to respond to the arrival of the Covid-19 in March 2020. This process resulted in a building typology that can be implemented nearby of any general hospital, with the aim of strengthening the local health network, according to the specific needs of every infrastructure in each circumstance. This Multipurpose Hospital Building in El Parc Sanitari Pere Virgili in Barcelona, with 56 beds of hospitalization and 32 beds for acute care distributed over three floors, is one of the five buildings of the same typology built in the Catalan territory during the last quarter of 2020. The building stands out for the following features:
- Compact: Its design is conceived to occupy the minimum plan surface (975m2) for a capacity of 88 beds.
- Rapid construction: The building typology has been built in 20 weeks using the Lean Construction methodology and a modular and industrialized system, in order to meet the deadlines.
- Flexible: The building is designed on various strategies such as modularity (comprising 62 modules of 5x15m) and the use of the Parametric Window to allow changes in distribution without altering the façade composition.
- Fully integrated: The building is supported by the complex's infrastructures through underground connections.
- Safe: The building’s circulations are distributed ensuring the safety throughout the building. The clean and dirty circulations never cross and the connection between those two areas is made through transfers.
- User-centric design: Patients, medical and maintenance staff are the core of the deign strategies, through an architecture that actively participates in the humanization of health care.