NEW ACCESS AND SHOP
ACCESS raises the concept of accessing a place to incorporate signals. more liquid materiality to a place that has a special mystique. Access is also enter the deal, communicate with someone. The stained glass windows of the cathedral guide us to incorporate more acidic and plastic tones, as well as velvets, carpets, marbles, brass and natural wood.
There is an architecture to be revealed in the Cathedral of Burgos. They are the architectures of small things, of spiritual intimacies, of places of symbols and rites, of warmth. In reality, everything that contrasts with the centennial stones: Choirs, confessionals, sacristies, etc. A whole architecture of the small and singular things in large spaces.
The project rescues the traditional materials with which those architectures conform. The carpets, velvets, wood, metallic chrome, textures and delicate colours and form with them a tremendously contemporary new architecture that gives warmth and welcome to the place that receives its visitors.
On the other hand, the project opens a new access in a historic door that had remained closed for too long, and recovered through the care and cleaning the historical vault of the San Fernando room.
The cathedral updates its services to national and international visitors. It is a commitment to care and welcome our visitors in a different way by offering a warmer and more complete visiting experience. It has been designed from a way of understanding the space at the service of the reception that makes this store a contemporary extension of the Cathedral where the foreign visitor or the citizen of Burgos can access the purchase of a souvenir of the World Heritage monument.
The new space contains the general information point, the sale of tickets, the reception of pilgrims on the road to Santiago, the store of new products and souvenirs of the cathedral, toilets and complementary services for visitors. The store is a space with new products designed for the opening also for the citizens of Burgos.
Burgos Cathedral is a 13th-century building, in which the first stone was laid in 1221, and was consecrated in 1260. However, the temple is a living architecture that has continuously expanded and is enriched with new performances. The interior adaptation has been located in the vaulted room of San Fernando with an area of 260m2
The design starts from the traditional material elements of the cathedral to form a cosy and comfortable space for all visitors and workers. Three main criteria have been established.
• Spatial recovery and care of the vaulted space of the San Fernando room.
• It has been designed with traditional materials, geometries and textures that we see in the cathedral: with stones on floors and table cards, with wood in the furniture, with the geometry of the arches and vaults, with the colour of the stained glass, the chrome Traditional forges and metal elements.
• The project includes sustainability technologies for indoor climatic comfort, with a new heating, enhancing natural lighting and improving with artificial LEDs, and with artisanal work in the production of its furniture and architecture.
A pragmatic project for a historical space full of nuances and sensibilities that provokes surprise in the viewer and combines tradition and contemporaneity in a pedagogical view of the architecture of the Gothic cathedrals based on their elements.
CO-AUTHORY: Mauro Gil-Fournier Esquerra, Esaú Acosta Pérez, Miguel Jaenicke Fontao
COLLABORATORS: Miriam Alonso Barrio, Policarpo del Canto Baquera, Patricia Ramos Mateo.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: AIBUR RESTAURACIÓN
FURRNITURE: KUMA Estructuras