The reading room is the center of the State Library Passau. In the building, which was built in 1639 as a Jesuit alumnus, the former courtyard was re-roofed as part of a refurbishment. The new glass roof takes up the geometry of Passau ́s roof landscape and plays with the rhythm of the arches in the courtyard.
The light structure of the roof continues the urban qualities of the old town into of the library. The reading room thus receives its special atmonsphere: open and quiet at the same time.