House in Príncipe Real
The renewal work aims to rebirth the individuality of the building with interventions both on the interior and exterior in terms of definition of space, finishes and technical infrastructures, as well as the functional adaptation to the use of a seven bedrooms single-family house, including an annex working as a three bedrooms apartment.
The house was originally built on the seventeenth century and partially resisted to the Lisbon earthquake of 1755. In addition to the presumed arrangements that followed, it was submitted to several interventions that partially altered the interior and exterior space creating a variety of confusing solutions. Nevertheless it was able to maintain it’s patrimonial value mainly recognized for the interior wall coatings in the traditional old azulejo.
The partial interventions that have a relevant impact on the elevations are the new terraces with white iron structures that creates new shadow areas on the south and north gardens. They stand out in a way that it’s perfectly identifiable with the present time being assumed in their own materiality. At the same time are create a new dialectic with the pre-existent morphology.
The intervention identifies two basic intentions: a) to emphasize the historical and patrimonial aspect of the building, b) to assume contemporaneousness and reversibility of the specific exterior interventions. The exterior renewal consists mainly on the building finishes, window frames and doors to be recovered, solutions for drainage of rainwater, cleaning and replacement of some roof tiles and the recovery, etc.