Text from Skogskyrkogården
When the Cemetery Committee announced an international competition to design Skogskyrkogården, Asplund and Lewerentz decided to produce their own entry together.
Their entry “Tallum” won the competition and work started a year or so later. Together they created a unity of landscaping and buildings that has become one of the world’s leading architectural sites. Lewerentz was responsible for much of the landscaping. He also designed the classicist Chapel of Resurrection in the southern part of Skogskyrkogården. Asplund designed the other main buildings: the Woodland Chapel, the Woodland Crematorium with its three different chapels, and the Tallum Pavilion.
Forest cemetery general plane, Gunnar Asplund, 1940 (not including the rebirth chapel, administration building, etc.).
Resurrection Chapel, Lewerentz, 1921-25; 1952
Woodland Chapel, Asplund, 1918-22
Service Building, Asplund, 1922-24
Woodland Crematorium, Asplund, 1935-40 (Forest crematorium chapel consists of three upper and ashes at the lower office)