The facility is built as a tenant's house and barn to a farm just before 1868. The facility was protected under the Cultural Heritage Act in 2005. From 1894 until 1960 it operated as a nursery. The barn has been unused and decaying since the 1960s. The restoration of Holmeegenes is performed by the Municipality of Stavanger from 2007 to 2015. The Sharecroppers home is a museum today, and the barn section is restored and used for representation. The renovation used local pine processed with traditional tools in all original surfaces. The modern add ons in the interior such as toilets, kitchen and staircase are made wich oiled oak and glass.