Mlesna Hellas request for a unique tea house, a tea island in the middle of the hardcore center of Athens guide us to an auto-referent introverted space with minimalistic architectural details based on the characteristics of the traditional Japanese architecture related to the traditional tea ceremony such as wood light and shadows.
An, ornament free, wooden framework occupies the newly constructed interior skin of the tea house. A skin that shapes the ensemble of the functionalities of the tea house while forming its visual perception. Form texture and function are melted under the same distinctive element. 200 panels of glued laminated timber cover the entire interior space in all dimensions in a regular repetitive rhythm that brakes up its regularity periodically while keeping the same rhythm in order to organize the functional areas of the tea house.
ARCHITECT: GEORGES BATZIOS ARCHITECTS
- LOCATION: AL. SOUTSOU 19 STR & LYKAVITOU, KOLONAKI, ATHENS
- CLIENT: MLESNA HELLAS
- SURFACE: 120 m2 /
- STATUS: COMPLETED 10/2015
- PRODUCTION MANAGER: KOSTAS PAPATHEODOROU
- CONSTRUCTION MANAGER: GEORGES BATZIOS ARCHITECTS
- WOOD CONSTRUCTION: MIXALIS PETRITIS
- ELECTRICAL WORKS: GIORGOS MASTORAKIS
- STEEL WORKS: GIORGOS FRIGANIOTIS
- LIGHTING CONSULTANTS: L4A